Wednesday, September 24, 2014

The Bash Bug

Recently a new bug was found in the bash shell, which is quite discouraging, seeing as how it can effect any device running bash connected to the internet. I personally am a great lover of technology, and I've been excited as technology continues to advance with the internet of things. This issue has made me rethink how great the internet of things really is. There is a really large risk involved with hooking "everything" up to a single system. It is almost like putting all of our eggs in one giant basket, and one serious bug, like the bash bug, could potentially wreak some major havoc. Is the convenience of automated lightbulbs or smart A/C units connecting to the internet really worth the risk that they inherently bring with them? I want to say yes, but that could just be the techno-geek inside me speaking out.

Bash Bug Article

1 comment:

Transcending Eden said...

Never considered the risk of the internet of things until now. Thanks for bursting my bubble Joey.